The spokesman of the Spanish bishops, Mons. Francisco César García Magán, said Friday that the Cross of the Valley of the Fallen will continue to stand despite the “resignification” of the enclosure agreed with the Holy See.
During the press conference at the end of the Plenary Assembly of the Spanish Episcopal Conference (CEE), the Toledo auxiliary bishop pointed out, on the other hand, that the initial intention declared by the Government of Spain included “the desacralization of the Basilica and the departure of the Benedictines”, which moved to the Vatican Secretary of State, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, during the visit made by President Pedro Sánchez. October.
Receive the main news of ACI Press by WhatsApp and Telegram
It is increasingly difficult to see Catholic news on social networks. Subscribe to our free channels today:
To this Mons. García Magán added that, on the table, there was the question “of the destruction of the cross that presides over the monumental complex”, the largest in the world, “although it was not strictly proposed by the Government.”
In a second meeting held last February between the Government and the Holy See in which the Minister of Presidency, Félix Bolaños, participated, would have agreed several red lines transferred by the bishops: maintain the Catholic cult in the Pontifical Basilica of the Holy Cross, ensure the presence of the Benedictine community and respect “the religious elements located outside the basilica”, including the cross.
The pact, said Mons. García Magán, must formally substantiate “in an agreement that is not made”, despite which, the Government has already launched the bureaucratic procedures to carry out its project.
The spokesman also stated that the EEC does not know the execution deadlines or what will the “resignification” of the rest of the enclosure consign.

Basic lines of the “resignification” of the Valley of the Fallen
The Ministry of Housing has issued an order to implement an agreement “between the Ministry of Housing and Urban Agenda, the Ministry of Territorial Policy and Democratic Memory and the Foundation of the Santa Cruz del Valle de los Fallen” in order to reconfigure the enclosure, which has been appealed by the Christian lawyers foundation.
This ministerial department has confirmed to ACI Press some details of the International Ideas Contest for the Resignification Project that, “has the end of the Vatican.” Proof of this would be the inclusion of a representative of the Catholic Church in the jury of the contest.
According to the government department, the resignification project “will offer a new critical and informed look on the history of our country” that will transform space into “a place of educational, cultural and democratic use.”
The project provides for the construction of an “Interpretation or Museum Center” that would be in the esplanade of access to the Pontifical Basilica, in addition to actions from this new space “to the interior of the Basilica” that, in its opinion, “complete the process of resignifying with an inclusive, respectful and according to democratic values.”
The project choice process will be extended six months and it is expected that “the tender for the works will take place before the end of 2026”. The Government plans to spend 26 million euros in this operation.
“Total and unanimous” support for Cardinal Cobo
Mons. García Magán also explained that the matter has been addressed during the plenary: “The bishops have been informed and of course, there has been a total and unanimous endorsement, without any discrepant voice” to the task performed so far by Cardinal José Cobo, designated as a mediator.
Likewise, the Episcopal spokesman confirmed that to address this matter, conversations between the EEC, the former Apostolic Nuncio in Spain, Mons. Bernardito Auza, the Benedictine community that lives in the place and the archbishop of Madrid, Cardinal Cobo, Cardinal Cobo, have been held.

They demand that the bishops defend the “inviolable character” of the temple
As Aci Press has already reported, several mobilizations of different Cariz have occurred in recent days, following the filtration of conversations between the Holy See and the Government and coinciding with the celebration of the Plenary Assembly of the EEC.
The last one took place this Thursday at the gates of the EEC, convened by the Association in Defense of the Valley of the Fallen (ADVC). In it, the prelates were claimed “not to remain silent or in an accomplice attitude before the government’s claim.”
In addition, it was recalled that as a temple, the Basilica has “inviolable character” according to the agreements signed by the Holy See and Spain in 1979: “What arises there is a desecration and, therefore, the only thing that can be exercised is to exercise the authority that has been conferred to defend the integrity of the Valley of the Fallen, as a sacred place, as a peace statement.
On the other hand, the ADVC defends that “any action of the government inside the basilica – works, exhumations, inspections, events, etc. – requires authorization or at least the consent of the competent ecclesiastical authority, usually the abbot or the ordinary of the place, according to the terms of canon law.”
The CEE spokesman, in reference to the different protests in these days, said he respects the right of demonstration and added that they have participated “a very heterogeneous reality” of people with different “ecclesial or extra ecclesial belongings.”
Thus, he identified that there were those who spoke with the bishops, who prayed or who were “to shout, to insult” even with “a little violent attitude” and performing “slander and insults.”