ANALYSIS: How has the discussion about the traditional Mass in Latin under the Pontificate of Leo XIV evolved?

In his first three months as Pope, Leo XIV has made no significant change regarding the status of traditional Latin mass (MTL). Tradition of guardsthe 2021 regulations of Pope Francis that imposed restrictions, such as the withdrawal of the pre -conclusion liturgy of all parishes, remains in force.

But something has changed around the MTL under Leo XIV: the discussion.

Receive the main news of ACI Press by WhatsApp and Telegram

It is increasingly difficult to see Catholic news on social networks. Subscribe to our free channels today:

Since the new Pope assumed the position on May 8, several prelates who had kept silence under Francis have spoken in favor of the MTL. Some of these ecclesial leaders, including high -ranking cardinals, have appealed to Leo XIV to reconsider the restrictions imposed on the traditional liturgy, while others have criticized some of the reasons given to limit their availability.

The most recent is Mons. Earl Fernandes, Bishop of Columbus, Ohio (United States), who seemed to question the official justification of restrictions on An interview released on August 25 by Catholic World Report.

While Pope Francis had written in A letter that accompanied Tradition of guards That the pre -conciliar liturgy had been instrumentalized by those who reject the Second Vatican Council, Mons. Fernandes said that “there was nothing ideological” in their own experience when celebrating the MTL since 2007.

“We wanted to offer the Mass to meet the pastoral need of the people,” he said. “It is a beautiful part of the church tradition.”

Earlier this month, Cardinal Kurt Koch, prefect of the Dicasterio for the promotion of the unity of Christians, expressed himself differently over the MTL, Saying to the German portal Kath.net that he hoped that Leo XIV follows the example of Benedict XVI expanding his access with The highest pontiffs In 2007. Tradition of guards Francisco reversed that course.

“Pope Francis, in this regard, chose a very restrictive path,” said Swiss cardinal. “It would certainly be desirable to reopen the door now closed.”

Similarly, Cardinal William Goh of Singapore, which had applied minimally Tradition of guards In his archdiocese without pronouncing publicly against him, he declared on May 22 that “he did not see reason to prevent people who prefer Tridentine Mass”, since “they are not doing anything bad or sinful.”

Likewise, Mons. Paul Reed, Auxiliary Bishop of Boston (United States), publicly expressed his appreciation for the MTL On July 2, sharing on social networks that had “cried” after celebrating it for the first time.

While some church leaders, such as Cardinals Raymond Burke and Gerhard Müller, have been expressing time against Tradition of guards publicly – and continue to do so – they were already known as open critics of Francisco’s pontificate.

On the contrary, public support for MTL for more moderate figures such as Cardinals Goh and Koch, and Bishop Fernandes, is a new phenomenon after Francisco.

What does this apparent change in the discussion in the church hierarchy mean?

A theory is that the new MTL public defense by moderate prelates indicates that Pope Leo XIV himself is favorable to soften restrictions. After all, the new Pope has shown a remarkable dominance of Latin in the liturgy, has used more traditional ornaments and has underlined the need to recover a sense of mystery and reverence in worship. Perhaps the pro-mtl bishops are more likely to speak now because they know that Leo XIV is on their side.

But other events suggest that this conclusion is precipitated; specifically, that the restrictions on the MTL in line with Tradition of guards They continue during the Pontificate of Leo XIV.

The Archbishop of Detroit (United States), Mons. Edward Weisenburger, advanced with his plan to limit the MTL in his archdiocese, reducing it to four non -parish places since July 1. Similarlyalthough delayed after the public critical reaction, Mons. Michael Martin, bishop of Charlotte, North Carolina, advances with plans to restrict access to the MTL in its diocese to a single chapel dedicated for October 2.

If Pope Leo XIV were known among the hierarchy to favor a relief of the restrictions of Tradition of guardsit is unlikely that several bishops are anticipated to him, especially considering that Charlotte’s diocese is investing $ 700,000 in its Mtl chapel.

In fact, Cardinal Koch, in his call to greater access, clarified that he did not want to “create false hopes”, since he had not discussed the issue with Leo XIV.

Thus, although the greatest freedom of conversation around MTL is not a conclusive proof that Leo XIV has liturgical visions other than those of Francisco, it does indicate that it is different in a critical aspect: its leadership style.

In a nutshell, León, as Catholic journalist George Weigel pointed out, He knows how to listen. It is reported that it is patient, consult widely and is open to persuasion.

“This will be his mode of operation”, He said to Reuters Agustino priest Anthony Pizzo, fellow Pope Studies in Villanova University.

This is a change in the face of Francisco’s most controlled style, which limited the public comments of the hierarchy on certain issues.

In fact, shortly after the election of León, Cardinal Michael Czerny He said that The style of the new Pope “could be even more inclusive or accessible than Francisco’s.” These words were even more striking from Cardinal Czerny, whom Francisco had appointed prefect of the Dicastery for the Service of Integral Human Development and who was a close Jesuit confidant of the late Pope.

It is this papal opening that probably supports the new situation when of the MTL. The most moderate prelates, such as cardinals Koch and Goh, feel free to question Tradition of guards With less fear of papal reprisals, while figures such as Weisenburger and Martin also consider that they have free way to apply restrictions.

But the patient and dialogue style of León does not mean that it will not make new decisions about access to MTL. And given his desire to promote the unity of the Church, it is likely that the new Pope seriously considers new evidences and points of view when discerning next steps.

For example, it could review the survey that Francisco commissioned the hierarchy on the MTL, especially if, as they suggest recently filtered documents, the bishops were more favorable than Francisco showed when publishing when publishing Tradition of guards.

In addition, León could look for direct dialogue with MTL defenders who were marginalized under Francisco, perhaps what he did with Cardinal Burke at the private audience of August 25 in the Vatican.

What seems clear is that Leo XIV has inaugurated a more open climate within the church hierarchy, allowing greater freedom of expression in previous taboo issues, such as access to MTL.

This may not mean that supporters of the pre -conclusion liturgy obtain exactly what they want. But he suggests that at least they will be heard.

Translated and adapted by the ACI Press team. Originally published in the National Catholic Register.

live draw hongkong

keluaran hk

togel hari ini

togel hari ini

By adminn